How can a parent/guardian reach their student's counselor?
We are happy to hear from you! Please either email us or call us. If we are not there to answer your call, please leave a voicemail detailing your questions and/or needs.
How can a student reach their counselor?
Students are welcome to see their counselor whenever they have any needs, concerns, or just to drop in and say hello. Students may come to the Student Services Office where Ms. Anderson (our wonderful Student Services Assistant) will help them in making an appointment with the counselor.
Where are the middle school counselors?
Middle school counselors are professional educators who bring a mental health perspective and understand how to respond to the challenges presented by today's diverse student population. Middle school counselors do not work in isolation, but play an integral part of the total educational program by collaborating with parents, teachers, administrators, and agencies within the community. They provide proactive leadership in the delivery of school programs and services to help students achieve success in school. Adapted by ASCA.
What do we do? Our goals...
Middle school counselors promote student success and life-long learning through individual guidance counseling, small groups, and classroom lessons to develop:
- Respect of self and others
- Effective communication skills
- Healthy relationships
- Emotion management skills
- Problem solving skills
- Decision making skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Positive attitudes and behaviors toward learning
- Academic success
- Career interests
- Prevention and intervention of harassment, intimidation, and bullying
Middle school counselors support parents and guardians in order to:
- Understand their children's behavior
- Develop strategies for positive family interactions
- Connect families with community resources and make referrals during times of crisis or change
- Assist with communication between home and school
Middle school counselors support school staff to:
- Better understand students and their behavior
- Develop appropriate interventions to meet individual student needs
- Create a positive and safe school climate
- Obtain and share relevant information related to mental health topics
- Coordinate with other school specialists
- Promote the academic success of all students